Thread: Are posts from new members moderated?

Are posts from new members moderated?

About an hour ago, I joined and posted a question in the General Database Discussions forum. It does not show up in the forum listing nor in my Subscribed Threads list. Are posts from new members moderated? I just want to make sure that I didn't make a mistake.

In contrast, this one showed up immediately.

Yes...Posts from new members are moderated based on content... I approved your post about Access.

I think it would be more user friendly if new users were given some notification that their posts were being moderated and maybe some indication of how long it will be before it will be posted and how long they will be on probation. There are a lot of discussion forums. Many of them are poorly run or lack substance. When a post appears to just disappear, it can be confusing to newcomers.

Apparently, posts to this forum are not moderated.

PS: I just noticed that there is a message saying that posts may not appear immediately. I didn't notice it before because it is only on the screen for a few seconds. It does not appear to indicate that this is only for new members or how long this probation will last.
    Last edited by Jennifer Murphy; 04-23-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Add PS

You should have seen a message like the attached screen shot
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't recall seeing that message. Does it stay on the screen until I clear it or redirect after a few seconds?

I just posted a message in the Access forum. I noticed a different message saying that my post may not appear immediately and not to double post. But it was only on the screen for 1-2 seconds. If the moderator message also redirects, I may have missed it.

I have joined some other forums that moderate new members. The best ones make it clear that it is a temporary measure to prevent spammers and other scum from polluting the space and they indicate how long the probation will last. I have no problem with temporary inconveniences to keep out the bottom feeders. Just a suggestion.

I just created a new thread... And the same message above appeared for a few seconds then was redirected to the main page... (just like the message you saw)

The first test above, the message said on the screen in place of the post...and stayed there till I went somewhere else.

Thanks for the feedback. Odds are we won't be making any changes at this time.