Thread: Add data from xl file into a SQL 2008 Table that is already created

Add data from xl file into a SQL 2008 Table that is already created

I have xl or spreadsheet files that need to be imported into the SQL tables. However, when I do a import it re-creates another file. I just need the data from the xl spreadsheet to be added to the table in SQL that is already created in SQL 2008.

Are you using Import wizard in SQL Server management studio?. You can select an existing table by clicking the default destination table list. There is a drop down there to select other table than the one picked by the wizard.

Hi skhanal,
    I guess my question would be, I have already created the tables in SQL. I want to somehow get the data from the xl spreadsheet into my sql tables. Yes, I ran the SQL Import Wizard, but to do what you say, it asks for a script file to run. It seems it wants to do a map but this is where it asks for a script file to run. I need the script file or another sql command I can run within the database or a script I can run on the import of the data I need.

You can choose excel file as data source in data import wizard, don't need script.