Thread: changing file locations for a named instance after it was installed

changing file locations for a named instance after it was installed

Greetings -

I have an instance name on a SQL server, and realized afterwards that I did not specify the correct data and log driver names. Is it possible just to copy the file locations who C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.NAMEDINSTANCE\ to where I needed to be, I have two drivers (E:\LOG and F:\DB), or am I suppose to remove the instance and reinstall it to correct file locations?!

You can specify db file path in server properties -> database settings in ssms. and follow steps in this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408.aspx to change system dbs' location.

Quote Originally Posted by rmiao View Post
    You can specify db file path in server properties -> database settings in ssms. and follow steps in this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408.aspx to change system dbs' location.
    Hello,

I did know how to change the location for the data and log files, my question was more about the installation part itself. When you create the instance, SQL puts the files where you tell it to save it during the creation procedure. I just removed the instance and reinstalled it so it is saved to where it should be. I initially put the MSSQL folder files under C, that is what I wanted to change.

Thanks,
    Lava

You have to uninstall/reinstall. Only things that can be easily change is database file locations including system database files. To relocate binaries, just scratch and reinstall.

Yes, that is what I did...

Thanks,
    Lava

Don't have to reinstall in fact, just modify related registry keys and move files.