Thread: Backup production database procedure

Backup production database procedure

Greetings -

In my new job, they are using litespeed to backup all production databases. A template is setup that backs up all databases on daily basis (full backup once a day, and transactional log every 15 mins). The backp files .bak is retained for 90 days, and the trn files are retained for 7 days. Any ideas what is the standard procedure is to retain production data? I know in real world, you want to make nightly, weekly, and monthly backup then save them into another location. I am bothered by amount of files they save, this procedure is followed for test and staging as well!

Thanks,
    Lava

There's no standard for that, all depends on company policy.

There are two terms used in Backup and Recovery. Recovery Point Objective (RPO) meaning how much data can you afford to lose and Recovery Time Objective (RTO) meaning how long does it take to bring the data online in case of a failure. All backup policies stem from these two numbers.

More frequent full backups mean your RTO will be shorter as you have less transaction log backups to restore. RPO dictates how often you need to ship your backup offsite. To make it near zero RPO, many companies use Database Mirroring or Log Shipping or Replication on top of backups.

Thank you for your reply. I am meeting with management to discuss options, I understand one size can not fit all and they have to make a decision to what and how all these backup databases should be backed up. Thank you for your input.