Thread: Renaming Individual items in a DTS package

Dave Kendall Guest

Renaming Individual items in a DTS package

I am writing a utility that browses all steps, connections, and tasks in a given DTS package. One of the functions is to rename each item using its description, ie, removing spaces, formatting it, and then appending it to the standard DTSTask_ActiveScriptTask_MyCustomNameDerivedFromTh eDescription. I am being sure to change everything to match this in both the Step and task for a given set. The behaviour that is occuring is this. The package appears to be named correctly, and even seems to run correctly, but none of the precedence constraints, it, OnFail, OnSuccess, OnCOmpletion seem to show up in the DTS Designer Environment. The package does seem to be running correctly, any idea what would cause this behaviour?

Stephen Guest

Renaming Individual items in a DTS package (reply)

Have you updated the name of the task that each step calls.

In DTS, the step is really just a container. You need to add the task to it for anything to actually be done. DTS Designer automatically does this for you but gives you some awful names and no easy/error free way to change them.

In DTS Designer, you can check this by checking the properties of each step. Use "Disconnected Edit" to view the all of the properties for each step. The value for the "TaskName" must match the name of the updated name you gave the task.

Hope this helps
    Stephen

------------
    Dave Kendall at 2/5/2002 11:34:31 AM

I am writing a utility that browses all steps, connections, and tasks in a given DTS package. One of the functions is to rename each item using its description, ie, removing spaces, formatting it, and then appending it to the standard DTSTask_ActiveScriptTask_MyCustomNameDerivedFromTh eDescription. I am being sure to change everything to match this in both the Step and task for a given set. The behaviour that is occuring is this. The package appears to be named correctly, and even seems to run correctly, but none of the precedence constraints, it, OnFail, OnSuccess, OnCOmpletion seem to show up in the DTS Designer Environment. The package does seem to be running correctly, any idea what would cause this behaviour?