Thread: run 2 sql databases together

run 2 sql databases together

Hi,

I've next question:

I have now one vbulletin board running. This board run's on one SQL database. No we are planning a master upgrade for this version so I installed this updated version on another fresh SQL database on the same server.

Can we run both different databases together? I main with this question, when the users make posts on the first database can we make this post also visible in the new (second) database?

With this we can test the second database and after completing this test we close the first database.

Thanks in advance for the solution in this issue.

Regards

If your application is pointing towards one database you will need to have some kind of mechanism to transfer the data from the first database to the new one. It can be something like a scheduled job to export the data or something like a bcp task, although I think that would take some more work. If these databases are SQL Server databases you can create a DTS or SSIS package and have it regularly import the data into the new database.

Quote Originally Posted by J013 View Post
    If your application is pointing towards one database you will need to have some kind of mechanism to transfer the data from the first database to the new one. It can be something like a scheduled job to export the data or something like a bcp task, although I think that would take some more work. If these databases are SQL Server databases you can create a DTS or SSIS package and have it regularly import the data into the new database.
    Hi,

Is there not some script that will do this automaticly?
    The config script of vbulletin is php.

Greetz

You can set replication, sql will replicate data to subsciber for you. If go with ssis, you can schedule to run the package as sql job.

Hi,

Were can I found such a script?
    Could you pls give me some move information because this is the first time I will do something like this.

The SQL databases are one a server with the webhosting company.

Thx for the information.

Greetz

Quote Originally Posted by rmiao View Post
    You can set replication, sql will replicate data to subsciber for you. If go with ssis, you can schedule to run the package as sql job.

There's no script for replication, you can set it in ssms with wizard. You may need work with real dba on it.