Thread: Dropping database

Dropping database

Hi

As far as I know when we drop some database, database files (.mdf and.ldf) also get deleted from the location. right???

But yesterday I was trying to restore a large database and I thought I will drop the existing database first and then I will restore it . so I dropped the database and tried to restore the database to the same location but it gave me the error that data and log files are already existing on the location. So i deleted the old files and then restored and it worked fine!!!

Could u think of any possible reason why the data and log files were not deleted automatically when I dropped the database???

Thanks!!

Server has latest sql2k5 sp?

I doubt!!! I need to check and i ll let u know!!! but on one of my desktops I have RTM of sql 2k5. On that whenever I drop an SQL database files get deleted on there own!!! Does SP make any difference??? anyways I ll check and will let u know!!

One more thing I do is, I have registered that server on some other machine and from there I am dropping the database!!! Does that make any possible difference???

I'll check sp level of ssms on that machine too in this case.

SQL server 2000 (SP4) machine is registered on the SQL Server 2005 (SP3) machine. So I am dropping the database that is residing on SQL Server 2000 Machine from SQL Server 2005 machine. Sometimes the files disappear and sometimes they stay there. Does that make sense???

Better to manage sql2k with sql2k EM.