Thread: "Connect to Database Engine" prompt

"Connect to Database Engine" prompt

Whenever I open a saved query in SQL Server 2005, I get the "Connect to Database Engine" prompt even if I have an active database connection open. I had SQL Server 2005 installed on another computer and did not get this prompt every time (I just replaced that computer).

Any way to configure SQL Server Management Studio to not prompt me every time and connect to the last active database by default?

As far as I know, there is no way for SQL to not prompt every time a saved query is opened, but it may be possible in one of the options in SSMS.

SSMS has a different connection for every query you have, and when you opened a saved query if it is not a part of a project where the connection is saved then you will get a prompt every time when you open it wanting to know what instance you want to run the query against.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I've scoured SSMS for an option to allow it and haven't found one. It has to be possible though because it worked that way on my old computer. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore so I can't compare settings. I'll keep digging.

Quote Originally Posted by joshk View Post
    Whenever I open a saved query in SQL Server 2005, I get the "Connect to Database Engine" prompt even if I have an active database connection open. I had SQL Server 2005 installed on another computer and did not get this prompt every time (I just replaced that computer).

Any way to configure SQL Server Management Studio to not prompt me every time and connect to the last active database by default?
    Not sure if this is what you want, but I've found the following works for me
    - first connect to the database in the Object Explorer
    - then any SQL files you open use that database connection

No, I still get the prompt even if I do that first.

Weird

I'm pretty certain I've not made any changes in SSMS so I thought the behaviour was "standard", so why I don't get the prompt ?

And I didn't get the prompt on my other computer, which means it has to be a config issue of some kind ---- but what?

Well, you could always save your queries in projects. That should save the connection for that query as well.

My experience is that you will always get prompt unless you have a default database specified for the server. I don't know where that is set, but I do know that I have different settings depending on which server I am on. Production servers here do not retain login information.