Thread: SQL Server 7 to 2000 w/NTEXT

Question SQL Server 7 to 2000 w/NTEXT

I am trying to migrate our SQL Server 7 databases (140+ databases) to SQL Server 2000. I have all the databases setup and their login accounts. I can backup from the old machine and restore to the new machine fine, but the problem I am having is that none of the "long text" ntext information is coming across.

The one fly in the ointment is that with the old system, I am REALLY trying to avoid having to take the database offline as a lot of our clients are using it. If it absolutely comes to it, a late night shut down could be done.

Is there something I should be doing though to get the long ntext information to come across or somewhere I can copy/backup and restore?

Help would be much appreciated.

Backup and restore should bring all the data. Are the ntext columns blank?. You can try restoring to SQL 7 itself and see if it is appearing there. If it is there, then you can detach new database, copy files and attach to SQL 2K to see if detach/attach works.

Thank you!

Your reply actually got me to trying to pull data out of the table to ensure that there was nothing in those "blank" fields. And although, they show as blank on the actual server - if I use asp to display the information, the information is there. I don't quite understand why I don't see a "<long text>" in the field like before, but I am glad the information is there.

Thank you once again.

Cheers!

You can use SUBSTR in SELECT to select first few characters to verify if there is anything.

Sounds you have to test your app against sql2k first before upgrading.