Thread: Help with normalization!

Help with normalization!

Hi,

I would appreciate some help with normalising the following data most effectively.

I have a large amount of data in un-normalised form, which I can add if it is essential. I am trying to limit this information I add on this forum to the section of relevance.

Basically, i have table which will store information about toys. Within this there will be the following fields:
    Toy_name
    Cost
    Age_Range
    and then some more specific information. The specific information for each toy is:
    Toy_Type.
    The toy_type can be electronic, game, or wooden.
    For electronic I need to store Battery_Type and Number_of_Batteries.
    For type Game, I need to store, Type, this could card_game, board_game or other_game.
    For type wooden, I need to store Painted(Y/N).

The specification requires a lot of other information aswell, for instance childrens names and details etc. But it is this toy type information that I am unsure about how to normalise. I am not sure how to create tables for this information. I feel that all the information about all the toy types should not be in one table but then I am unsure as to how it would be divided.

I will be using Oracle to create my tables and then work with them further. At this stage I am primarily concerned with the actual design of the tables.

Your help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

if providing the full listing of fields will help let me know and i will do so.

Thank you

I'm no expert, but I had a similar question about how to structure a database and I found an explanation here -- http://onlamp.com/onlamp/2001/03/20/aboutSQL.html (a bit down on the page) -- of one-to-one relationships which seems to be the best way to go.

Thank you, I will have a look and see how I go. Thanks again.