Thread: Linking MS with a Report fault box that can send an email and store on the database

Linking MS with a Report fault box that can send an email and store on the database

MS Accesss 2003
    i have brought lots of books and yet still can find a way to have a fault box for the users of a small business to send by simply clicking the right questions asked like what computer is down what room what problem with a drop down box of many answers to choose from this will be like a form
    the fault report box will then be sent to my managers email this information should besent back to the database aswell

im so stressed for my final year project books aint helping
    is this even possible.............? i was thinking AccessPages And VBA

i want to the users to be able send a link email to my manger answering some question from a box i will design
    i think HTML will be the one because i need this box to be on a drive like shared or something and even what would be better on the desktop where the users can just simply clkick and open the box answer some questions like

what pc has a fault ( choose )
    what room ( choose)
    whats the fault ( choose)
    and the date ( choose)
    then send ................. is that gonna be difficult if so why

or in system terms

users send fault report (via Intranet)
    manager recieves fault report and/or database
    manager sends stafftodeal with problem
    database updated

is that soooooooooooooo complex why......

i

im dying here so many books and still no solution i might just give up my degree all together

i have already been designing the MS database for the Maintanance Department to log all informations about each PC with the faults so they can review thehistory ofany computers background for many years to come
    it will be used as a logging system the box is a extra usefull funtion that i am reqired to do from my teacher
    Last edited by sterlinn; 11-23-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: neededto put what program i am working with

Fault Reporting

I would use an form for the user to enter the required details. This form would be bound to a faults table or something similar.
    i assume that there will be only one selection for the problem.

When the user adds an entry, a fault reference number would be generated by the table. This fault number would be an autonumber etc.

Have a button called Report Fault, this would save the record, send an email to the relevant areas, display a message that fault number the number generated by the form, has been sent to IT dept and then close the form.

You can send an email in the background without displaying outlook. In your email title you use code to say user ABCD has logged fault number, the number generated by the form or similar wording etc.
    Allan

sorry about my spelling the space bar is a bit stiff so it put words together
    ok thank you so it is possible i was thinking that too
    its just what program do i use for this Assess Pages or something else is it just a front end user or a webpage................................?

just dealing with the logging records system at the moment but i would like to connect this shorlty after as a fault report logging sysytem

I would use a form, this is because I have no experience using a page. The choice is yours as long as the fault is recorded in a table.
    Allan

You can send emails from a standard Access form. You do not need to use DAPs.

For examples see: http://www.utterangel.com/UtterAngel...l.aspx?cat=acc

Scroll down to:
    E-Mail to Multiple Recipients Using CDO Object Sends e-mail to multiple recipients using the CDO object (cdonts.dll)and stores the addresses in the database.

or

E-Mail to Multiple Recipients Using Outlook Object Sends e-mail to multiple recipients using the Outlook object and stores both the message and the addresses in the database.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTech Coach
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Office Programming 25+ years as a Software Developer specializing in:
    Business Process Management
    Accounting/Inventory Control
    Customer Relations Management (CRM)
    Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)

i want to the users to be able send a link email to my manger answering some question from a box i will design
    i think HTML will be the one because i need this box to be on a drive like shared or something and even what would be better on the desktop where the users can just simply clkick and open the box answer some questions like
    what room ( choose)
    and the date ( choose)

Quote Originally Posted by sterlinn View Post
    what room ( choose)
    and the date ( choose)
    Are you going to run a Web server in house on the LAN or have own available to install scripts? If yes, then you can do it web based. If not, then you could use Access is the number of concurrent users in not more than 255 (more practical is around 100).

If you do have a web server running and a mail server where you can install applications, then I owudl urge you to check out Spice Works at http://www.spiceworks.com/ It does everything you need plus more and it is FREE! I would at least try it out if at all possible. This way you can learn about how this type of application works before you try to recreate your own.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTech Coach
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Office Programming 25+ years as a Software Developer specializing in:
    Business Process Management
    Accounting/Inventory Control
    Customer Relations Management (CRM)
    Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)

Ms

thank you im starting to understand how it works now just needed time i guess

yes im going to have the form on the web server doing in HTML ACCESS PAGES

should be ok

kind of ok just the tables and forms are just on going never ending but thank you i was so panicing