Thread: find report vs solution file

find report vs solution file

Hi,
    I am trying to debug a report. I can access report in Report Manager and know what needs fixed. My problem is finding the Visual Studio solution which created the report. This is an old report I did not work on and there are multiple versions. I used windows Search, but the report may be named differently.
    How can I find where a report was originally created?
    Thanks

A couple of ideas ...

You can look at the Properties (where you can get the name of the .rdl file, the creation date and the creator username), and then search on the .rdl file around that time frame.

If you can't locate the original, and you simply need to modify the existing report, click Edit on the Properties page for the report in report manager, and you can download the file via "Save," and then re-enter it in the BI Development Studio, do your mods, and then re-deploy.

Get back to us with any further questions ...

Bill

I couldn't see any Edit button - These reports are in Reporting Services 2000.

I found a query on the web to retrieve the sourcecode from SQL Server. Here is query incase any-one else has same issue (I made slight modification to original query)

SELECT Path, Name
    ,SourceCode = CAST(CAST(content AS VARBINARY(max)) AS varchar(max))
    FROM ReportServer.dbo.Catalog
    WHERE Type IN (2,6,3) and
    ([path]= 'xx' or [name]like '%xxx%')
    ORDER BY Path, Type, Name

Since varchar(max) wasn't available in SQL Server 2000, I had to backup and restore ReportServer db to a SQL Server 2005, first.

I then modified report sourcecode and uploaded it.

Great!

And thanks for pointing out this approach! Can't get it much more direct than from the catalog, can you?

Bill