Thread: Derived Column Conversion Issue

Derived Column Conversion Issue

Hi,

I have a problem with a derived column. There is a txt file that I load to the database using SSIS. Before the load I have to convert one of the columns into integer because it's what should be used in the db. There are nothing but integers there, but I still receive an overflow error for all numbers >= 32768. I tried all integer types in SSIS, also numeric and float, and still get the same error, so I guess it's a problem with buffer size or something else that does not understand integers higher than 2^15.

How can I fix it? All your ideas are highly appreciated.

V.

Maybe table uses smallint for the column, double check it.

It's integer on the table. It shows an error on the source.

Does the column in data file contain non-numeric value? Don't need convertion if all values are numeric.

Tried it too, still the same error on the source file.

Then you have to check data in source file.

What do you mean by "check data"? I created error output on the source file, and it shows that all records with a value >= 32768 cause a problem. What else should I check?

How did you create data file? If data type in sql table is correct, then only issue will be data self. Ensure there's no hidden characters and column terminator is valid.

I fixed it, thank you. Needed to change data type in flat file connection manager.