Thread: Slow query

Slow query

I have a fairly simple query that joins a table (ScreenContents) to a view (vw_ISN) like so:

FROM ScreenContents WITH (NOLOCK)
    INNER JOIN vw_ISN ar WITH (NOLOCK) ON ScreenContents.LabelCounter = ar.SystemItemCounter
    AND (ar.SystemItemTypeCounter = 12)
    AND (ar.JurisdictionCounter = 93)
    AND (ar.LanguageCounter = 1002)

Now if I run this query I get 30000 results back in 1 second. If however I change the last line to
    AND (ar.LanguageCounter = 1003)
    it takes 12 minutes for approximately the same number of rows. There are around 15000 rows in the table referenced by vw_ISN (ISN) for both languagecounters.

The table has a primary key and one other index. This other index is composed of
    SystemItemTypeCounter
    SystemItemCounter
    LanguageCounter
    JurisdictionCounter

I rebuilt the primary key but this made no difference. I checked the statistics and they appeared to be up to date with good selectivity.
    I then ran the following statement
    UPDATE ISN set languagecounter=languagecounter where languagecounter=1003
    This solved the problem and the query runs in 1 second for languagecounter = 1003. I rechecked the statistics and this update did not affect them. I then restored a backup and ran a similar update query against a column that is not included in the index and another that is included in the index. Neither made any difference.

How did updating the languagecounter field solve the problem?

Update to this:

Adding a new language (1004) which would add another 15000 records to the ISN table had the same effect (i.e. the query is fast for 1003).

Did you compare execution plans?

I did and one way (the fast way) was using a clustered index scan and the other (slow) one was using an index seek and a row lookup. The question is why (when the data was more or less uniform) did it change when I ran that update when the statistics were unchanged.

Since data distribution changed after you updating the table, sql will generate new plan accordingly.

In the normal course of events, I would agree but there was no change of data. The query I ran :

UPDATE ISN set languagecounter=languagecounter where languagecounter=1003

did not actually change anything.

What's sp level on that server?

SQL 2005 SP3
    Developer Ed

Looks like should report it to Microsoft connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/dashboard/?wa=wsignin1.0