Thread: Slow client response

Philip Talavera Guest

Slow client response

At my location we are running Great Plains on SQL server with the Great Plains client on the front end communicating over IP Sockets. Occasionally the client will stop responding for up to 15 minutes. This occurs to all clients at the same time. While this is happening I have ran performance monitor on the SQL server using the SQL counters and everything looks fine. Performance on the server and the network does not degrade. Only the Great Plains client is affected. From this I feel this is not a network problem. I would like some suggestions on what could possible cause this type of problem. I am really just looking for a starting point on where the problem may be originating from. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Don Romano Guest

Slow client response (reply)

You can look at "Current Activity" under SQL Server EM while the delay is occuring.

I would also definitely set up SQL Trace to monitor what is going on.

Did you look at possible locking problems in the database? Is there a job running on the SQL Server that is locking the clients out? Looking at Performance Manager... is there heavy disk access going on during that time?

You might want to check out the Great Plains support area (I assume you are) to view any materials relating to concurrancy.

Hope this helps,

Don

On 8/10/98 6:42:58 PM, Philip Talavera wrote:
    > At my location we are running Great Plains on SQL server with the Great
    > Plains client on the front end communicating over IP Sockets. Occasionally
    > the client will stop responding for up to 15 minutes. This occurs to all
    > clients at the same time. While this is happening I have ran performance
    > monitor on the SQL server using the SQL counters and everything looks fine.
    > Performance on the server and the network does not degrade. Only the Great
    > Plains client is affected. From this I feel this is not a network problem.
    > I would like some suggestions on what could possible cause this type of
    > problem. I am really just looking for a starting point on where the problem
    > may be originating from. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    >

thanks.