Thread: Maximum data

Maximum data

Hi

I have an application with is connecting SQL Server 2005database. it cant be said that how many rows of data would be inserted into a table per second. it can be none,100,10000 or anything.

so before building up the application, i was just curious to know the maximum amount of rows that can be inserted into a table(with 10 columns roughly) without database failure, so that i can plan accordingly.

is there any way to find it out???

The processor i have is intel(R)Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz with 4 GB RAM on my server.

Please suggest!!!

yogesphu, As long as you don't run out of space (for Tables, Indexes, Logs, etc.) you won't have a database failure. An Insert is processed one at a time. It doesn't matter if there are 0 or 1,000,000 rows being inserted.

What you might be more concerned about it the amount of time the process takes. This depends on other work on the server, concurrency of the table (how many others are using the table at the same time), the number of indexes (the more indexes the more a single insert has to update), etc.

I don't know your process or even all the various options, but if the number of rows being inserted is significant, have you looked into other options other than programatic Inserts?

thanks 4 d info!!! i will consult my application team and will post again if in need!!thanks for ur help!!