Thread: Use of Access Back End Database on Linux

Use of Access Back End Database on Linux

Hi,

I was hoping to use an Access Back End Database sitting on a linux server, with clients with the front end on their XP based machines and via Samba.

I have tried this and set up the Access Back End Database for Shared usage, the Samba Share on the server, and the appropriate access rights on the file, but although this seems to allow single user access another person attempting to use it gets a "file already in use message".

Am I correct in thinking that because of the different platforms, this cannot be done ?

Regards

Dave

What permissions do they have fore the folder?

Is the .ldb file getting created?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTech Coach
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Office Programming 25+ years as a Software Developer specializing in:
    Business Process Management
    Accounting/Inventory Control
    Customer Relations Management (CRM)
    Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)

Hi,

Permissions on the apps folder where the database is stored on the server are -rwxrwxrwx.
    The only folder within this folder is rhe register_be.mdb database which is the Access back end. No other files are present.

I have just accessed the file above as the only user and gone in to it normally.

I have just looked into the apps folder and a Register_be.ldb file now exists as well.

I have just closed the Database down and the .lbd file has gone.

Regards

Dave

Sounds like the locking file ( .ldb ) is getting created correctly now.

Can multi users access the back end database now?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTech Coach
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Office Programming 25+ years as a Software Developer specializing in:
    Business Process Management
    Accounting/Inventory Control
    Customer Relations Management (CRM)
    Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)

Hi,

No afraid not.

I have just got in myself, but from a colleagues machine get

"Could not use \\Galaxy\apps\Register_be.mdb; file already in use error message".

Regards

Dave

I don't know about the linux server portion, but in a normal windows environment, to allow multiple users into the database at the same time, I have always had to have each user use a shortcut to open the database. Within the shortcut, the path and name of Access had to be used, then, of course the path and name of the front-end database. This is the only way I could make sure that all the users would be allowed to share the database if they were all using the same front-end database. Once I started setting up each user with their own copy, on their own C:\ drive, was I able to not have to worry about the shortcut for sharing method. Of course, when you distribute a copy of the front-end database to every users own PC, you need a method to update all the distributed copies when changes are made to the front-end database.