Thread: Database mdf file has grown to 101G

Database mdf file has grown to 101G

How can I clear space for a database that has grown to 101G and is leaving me with about 30G worth of disk space? Do I shrink the file?
    I am deleting syslog data to see if that helps it...but I don't see that it is.

Rebuild clustered index on all tables then check used space with sp_spaceused, you can shrink data file with 'dbcc shrinkfile'.

Do you recommend a shrink of the data file with dbcc shrinkfile? I thought that it was not a good practice...I could be wrong.

Can you gothrough the tables in Database. Remove the unwanted tables and history tables like backup with the dates s, etc.

Log files shrinking is most better than mdf files.

mariposa.azul, not sure who told you shrinking file is bad practice. It's not true.

srikanth.mss, OP said mdf file has grown to 101G not log file. Shrinking log file doesn't help here. By the way, your statement 'Log files shrinking is most better than mdf files' doesn't make sense.

You can generate reports of database object sizes from Management studio, you can then decide whether those objects are truly needed or somebody created them temporarily and forgot to drop.

I have done a shrink of the database to a test environment and I have compared the reports you suggested, and I can see a BIG difference between current Production and Test env.