Thread: Survey: Where to put BI calcs?

Survey: Where to put BI calcs?

Hi,
    When I use the BI wizard and choose "define time intelligence" it puts the new calculated members under the time dimension.

But it looks to me like the AdventureWorks cube does pretty much the same thing but puts them under measures ("Growth in Customer Base" for example).

Question is:
    Do I use the BI wizard and make as much use of that as possible or learn/copy what's done in AW?

I'm concerned I'll get to a place where it'll be hard to use cal members under the time dimension later.

What have you all been doing?

Thanks,
    Richard

Considerations ...

You can put them either place - and many clients I've worked with have had an overabundance of calculated members under measures (at least when I first arrived ...). Putting the calculated members in the dim to which they logically belong not only makes for better organization ... you also have to consider the fact that, if you will always want to see "measures by dimension," putting purely "dimensional" CMs under Measures may limit you in juxtaposing [Measure].[CM] and [Measure].[Measure], as you will encounter issues with using the same dimension ([Measures]) on two different axes ... (There are workarounds even to this, but, again, you probably want to keep things organized, logical, and easy to query).

Get back if this is unclear, or if you have any further questions.

Bill

Ok thank you.
    That helps. I just want to make sure I go off in the right direction.
    Richard

General Rule ...

Thanks for the followup.

Keep in mind that the advice I offer is a "general rule;" I cannot say for sure, unless I see your structure fully, know all your reporting needs, etc. But, in general, I typically follow a strategy similar to the one I have outlined.

Good Luck.

Bill