Thread: Selection of Hardware for sql2005 DB

Selection of Hardware for sql2005 DB

Hi,

our database size for sql 2005 standard edition is now around 30 GB ,
    but since there are more data which need to be added to database and
    expecting that it would be
    around 1-2 TB , what should be the minimum RAM and Processor requirement
    for this kind of database to give better performance.

with regards

Also depends on data process type and rate. Take look at HP web site, they have server sizing tool that will help you to spec your server.

Also Take a Look at the Microsoft Recommendations ...

I know it's kinda obvious, but be sure to look over the published requirement guidelines at the Microsoft SQL Server site ...

Bill

Also, add archiving and purging to your design. In many cases all the data in the database are not accessed every day.

Partitioning / Using Multiple Drives ...

Partitioning / using multiple drives can also mean parallel writes - and therefore increased speed. I've seen some excellent schemes for setting this up recently.

Bill

Hi,
    actually I have a database around size 900 Gb on hw 4 quad core (2.6 GHZ) and 30 Gb ram, I'm connected a HP SAN with disks of 15K RPM. my aplications is an ERP.
    I have 80 Millions of transaction per month and the processing is low than 30 % in average.
    Now, I use partitioning, and my maintenance plans like update statistis and dbreindex run every month.
    I mean, the hardware that you need depends on design of databases and You must make permanently review of indexes, and querys that run against your databases.

Regards,

Excellent Input ...

Not sure I understand the "processing is low than 30 % in average" part, but your other input is excellent - and along the lines of some of the stuff I was trying to express to the original correspondent - particularly the intelligent use of partitioning.

We appreciate the input from someone who obviously has experience in optimization.

Bill

hi,
    when I said "processing is low than 30 % in average", I mean that the % processor time is max 30% in average. For this case

regards ,

Thanks for the Feedback ...

Thanks for getting back and making that clear. Many will come across this thread via searches, and I'm sure that this will make things more understandable.

Have a great weekend.

Bill