Thread: Data Modeling tool decision

Data Modeling tool decision

Hello,

We have a fairly big database design effort coming up and need to decide on a standard "data modeling" tool for use with Oracle and SQLServer.

And we do have Embarcadero and Oracle Designer in house but are hearing from some that they would prefer Erwin and Toad, so we're somewhat deadlocked on a decision.

I would vey much appreciate it if you could give me your personal preference/opiinon/reasoning on which "data modeling" tool you would buy/use if cost wasn't really the major factor please?

Thanks very much for your insights!
    BobK

Here's My 2c ...

Here's My 2c ... (adjusted, of course, for the rapacious inflation that will be due upon us all, after passage of the recent trillions in stimulus and other bills):

Erwin is, of course, an old standby. With SQL Server 2005, Management Studio includes the Visual Data Modeling tools. This tool set enables you to graphically build your data model and translates the model into the appropriate T-SQL commands. See the following:

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1066

I've also done amazing things with Visio recently ...

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes!

Bill

I used ERWin, InfoModeler , ER/Studio, Visio. Personally I like Erwin. They are pretty standard and support many RDBMS.
    Requirement for different client is different.Download all the tool and compare the features and then make decision.

Another Option ...

Hi:

I've recently become introduced to the Embarcadero tool set, and found it to be quite powerful as well. Nothing, to me, is ore preferable to using the "free" tools that accompany MSSQL Server, but Embarcadero might be something to investigate if you want another option.

HTH,

Bill