Thread: Sum or AVG from derived textboxes

Sum or AVG from derived textboxes

I have a form with header and detail. the detail section is populated with results from a query. there are two columns at the end that are derived from data in the results. One is a percent [pct] of two columns [settlement]/[balance]. this works

now in the header I have a box that counts the number of settlements, this works correctly.

I am trying to add a box that will give me the avg of the [pct] column. I can sum the settlements and sum the balances then divide and this will give me the % of the total. but I am trying to get the avg of the pct.

an example
    Code:
    [balance]     [settlement]   [pct](rounded up to 0 decimal)
    458.15              229.07        50
    365.91              195.00        53
    2331.48             550.00       24

total
    3155.54             974.07       31
    the avg of the percentages would be 42 <= this is the one I can't figure out. I tried adding a column in the query that would calculate the pct then I could avg that, but it told me it was too complex or typed wrong?

put the table on sql server, made my query and it works (having the pct column as settlement/balance.

copied it to access and i now get a popup Overflow

Code:
    SELECT     [Date], Client_Name, Creditor_Name, [Payment_#], Balance, Settlement, ModifiedDate, ModifiedBy, SUM(Settlement / Balance) AS pct
    FROM         tbl_settlements
    WHERE     (ModifiedBy = 'fred') AND (YEAR([Date]) = 2009) AND (MONTH([Date]) = 11)
    GROUP BY [Date], Client_Name, Creditor_Name, [Payment_#], Balance, Settlement, ModifiedDate, ModifiedBy
    so I must be missing something access wants that sql doesn't need

DOH!!!!!!!!!!
    can't divide by 0!!!
    ok so I put an if in the query to avg only if field>0
    seems to be working now

The sooner you learn to always check for zero (0) before dividing, the happier you will be. (Voice of way too much experience) Good job!