Thread: Data Encryption

Christina Ko Guest

Data Encryption

Hi,

I am looking for a way to encrypt a column in my SQL Server Table. I have been looking in the books and have not found anything. Any ideas of how to do it?

Kenneth Wilhelmsson Guest

Data Encryption (reply)

Easy. Use the (undocumented) encrypt() function.

However, if you want to decrypt it again, you have to code that yourself, since
    there are no decrypt() function.

Look in sp_password for example of use of encrypt()

/Kenneth
    ------------
    Christina Ko at 4/8/99 7:58:44 AM

Hi,

I am looking for a way to encrypt a column in my SQL Server Table. I have been looking in the books and have not found anything. Any ideas of how to do it?

Christina Ko Guest

Data Encryption (reply)

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for your response. Since the encrypt( ) is not documented, do you have any example. I would like to encrypt the SSN column in my table and decrypt it when needed.

------------

Hi,

Gregory Guest

Data Encryption (reply)

maybe perform encryption/decryption in front-end? instead of doing it at back-end?

for example, you can use
    1) 'xor' function to encrypt/decrypt text
    or
    2) use crypto API functions

.....?

mail me if need more info

------------
    Christina Ko at 4/9/99 7:43:50 AM

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for your response. Since the encrypt( ) is not documented, do you have any example. I would like to encrypt the SSN column in my table and decrypt it when needed.

------------

Hi,

Dmitry Nickoulenko Guest

Data Encryption (reply)

Whether one Can be removed the encoded procedure code from the table syscomments?
    And how this will tell posteriorly on the fortune SQL Server?

Thanks. Dmitry.