Thread: Reporting Services User application

Reporting Services User application

Hello,

I have to create an application that let the users create some reports.

I am really new to reporting services. I am not really sure how to even start this. After struggling, I used Sql Server 2005 BI, and created a report that shows information about books. I selected all the fields that I needed and have deployed it as well. Now, when I run on the server I get something like this: (from http://localhost/reports)

Table: tblBook

BookID|BookName|BorrowerID|DateCheckedout
    1|Nameofthebook|5|2008-12-01
    2|Nameofthebook|10|2009-10-01
    3|Nameofthebook|1|2008-11-01
    4|Nameofthebook|7|2008-12-17
    5|Nameofthebook|3|2008-10-28
    6|Nameofthebook|5|2008-12-01
    7|Nameofthebook|10|2009-10-01
    8|Nameofthebook|1|2008-11-01
    9|Nameofthebook|7|2008-12-17
    10|Nameofthebook|3|2008-10-28

This is everything in the query. It created the .rdl file, which i believe i need to import in my application. From this application, i would like the user to select a date range, the when the form is submitted, the report output should be a grid that tells for each day in the selected range how many books were checked out on that specific day. This is actually the detailed view. When the user requests a report, the first output should be broken by month (Jan/feb etc. whichever range was selected). When once clicks each month, it expands to show the output broken down by 10 days. Then, further clicking, it breaks it down to each day in those 10 days.

I am not really sure how to do this part, or even the query that i did was correct to accomplish this. Am I on the right track? Is that how its supposed to be done?

What do I have to do to get the correct output? This is actually just one of the reports. There will be quite a few separate reports that I will give users an option in this application to select from as a menu.

Any help is much appreciated.

J!

you need to use report parameters. You need two parameters. one for start date and another for enddate.

Helpful Tutorials in Using Parameters in Reporting Services ...

Hi:

You can take a look at many of the articles within my Reporting Services series at:

http://www.databasejournal.com/article.php/1459531

for step-by-step specifics in implementing parameters, to meet a range of real-world needs, from simple to sophisticated.

Give these a look, and get back to us with specific questions as they arise.

Good Luck!

Bill