Thread: ??'s about security patch

jasmin Guest

??'s about security patch

I plan to apply the new security patch on my SQL 7.0 sp3 servers and get my SQL 2000 servers up to SP2 (which apparently already includes this)

But I was reading the Mitigating Factors in the announcement of this vulnerability and one reads as below:

"The effect of exploiting the first vulnerability would depend on how the SQL Server service was configured. SQL Server can be configured to run in a security context of the administrator’s choosing. (By default, it runs as a domain user). If best practices are followed, and the service is configured to run with the least privileges necessary, it would limit the worst-case damage an attacker could achieve. "

So my question is: What is the best practice for the SQL Server service and Agent service? Also are there resources for Best Practices?

Thanks!!

Anu Guest

??'s about security patch (reply)

Hi Jasmin,

The best practice is always using Domain account with administrative priveledges. For SQLServer account sa should have a password even in Development Environment.

-Anu

------------
    jasmin at 12/28/2001 12:01:50 PM

I plan to apply the new security patch on my SQL 7.0 sp3 servers and get my SQL 2000 servers up to SP2 (which apparently already includes this)

But I was reading the Mitigating Factors in the announcement of this vulnerability and one reads as below:

"The effect of exploiting the first vulnerability would depend on how the SQL Server service was configured. SQL Server can be configured to run in a security context of the administrator’s choosing. (By default, it runs as a domain user). If best practices are followed, and the service is configured to run with the least privileges necessary, it would limit the worst-case damage an attacker could achieve. "

So my question is: What is the best practice for the SQL Server service and Agent service? Also are there resources for Best Practices?

Thanks!!

Anu Guest

??'s about security patch (reply)

But,

If the Domain account used by Sqlservice is given less priveledges, I am not sure whether the sqlserver will get affect the environment. Better way is to run the patch first.

-Anu

------------
    jasmin at 12/28/2001 12:01:50 PM

Thanks!!