Thread: importing data from an excel sheet on to a new sql server 2003 database

importing data from an excel sheet on to a new sql server database

I need to import some data that is stored in excel sheets to be transferred to a sql database so if any one could guide me through the steps then would be very thankful to him/her.
    Last edited by ravibput; 10-17-2008 at 08:51 AM.

There is no SQL Server 2003 database. It is either SQL 2000,2005 or 2008. You can use SSIS wizard or DTS wizard depending on version of SQL Server you have.

thanks for ur reply..........
    but as i am new to this could you just brief me how to do this in astep by step manner as i am doing a college project.......
    Last edited by ravibput; 10-17-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Or just use data import wizadr, it's in all mentioned versions of sql server. Books online gives you detailed steps.

Quote Originally Posted by skhanal
    There is no SQL Server 2003 database. It is either SQL 2000,2005 or 2008. You can use SSIS wizard or DTS wizard depending on version of SQL Server you have.
    thanks for ur reply but could you please give me the steps as how i should go on with this as 1 am new to this and have been given as a project by my college..........

In SQL Server Management Studio (sql2k5 and sql2k8) or sql server enterprise manager (sql2k), connect to the Database Engine server type, expand Databases, right-click a database, point to Tasks, and then click Import Data or Export data.

use SSIS in sql server 2005 /2008 or IMPORT wizard

or

use DTS or import wizard in sql server 2000

Were You Able to Accomplish the Import?

Let us know, as you proceed, if you have specific questions. This is a fairly straightforward process.

Good Luck,

Bill

yes i have finally succeeded to import data through the DTS wizard anyways thanks for ur reply...........

Great to Hear of Progress ...

Thanks for letting us know.

Please feel free to get back with specific questions as you proceed in your use of DTS and the rest of the integrated MS BI solution!

Good luck!

Bill