Thread: ms access sending email

ms access sending email

Hello,

I have a table that carries a due-date for returning a book. What is the best way to send the borrower reminders of the due date? I have been thinking of sending emails to them when the due-date is 30 days, 15 days, 10 days, 5 days, 3,2,1 day, and over due reminders if the borrower hasn't taken an action yet. The action can be: they can extend the date, or they can return it. If extended then same thing, once it gets under 30 days, the reminder is sent.

Is there a better way to do this? or if its ok to do it via email, i would like to know how do i send email from an access? Do i have to create a separate application that checks for it?

Table: tblBook

BookID|BookName|BorrowerID|DueDate
    1|Nameofthebook|5|2008-12-01
    2|Nameofthebook|10|2009-10-01
    3|Nameofthebook|1|2008-11-01
    4|Nameofthebook|7|2008-12-17
    5|Nameofthebook|3|2008-10-28

Table: tblBorrower
    BorrowerID|BorrowerLastName|BorrowerFirstName|Borr owerEmail

1|Smith|John|something@email.com
    3|Smith|Jane|something1@email.com
    5|Smith|Joanne|something2@email.com
    7|Smith|Johnny|something3@email.com
    10|Smith|Janny|something4@email.com

So, this script is supposed to run everyday and check the 'duedate' column and calculate if its under 30 days from now and send email notification to the borrower.

The part to extend the due-date is a separate issue that will be taken care of using a form. I am only concerned about the notification of the duedate at this moment.

I am using Access 2003.

Thanks in advance,
    J!
    Last edited by junOOni; 10-16-2008 at 02:08 PM.

I believe you need write more code, don't think access has send mail feature.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I am really new to this sending email notification. Even if i were to write a script using vb.net, how do i really tell the computer to "send" the email? I have to reference it to somehow the mail server the company uses, or is it some third party?

Also, the drive that has the database is an external drive. It doesn't have any OS, and several users will be connected to it. If I were to use a schedule task to check if email has to be sent, where would be the best place to do that? I do not think i should use any user's computer to do that b/c the computer may be turned off at the time or something.

Is it even a good idea to this? What else can be done?

Sorry if I am not making sense.

Thanks,
    J!

even a simple vbscript could send and email
    http://www.databasejournal.com/scrip...le.php/3500311

schedule a job on the server that runs 24/7. Dont schedule it on your deskto