Thread: "SELECT rowguidcol" from tables on linked servers?

"SELECT rowguidcol" from tables on linked servers?

I've run into the following problem using "select rowguidcol from [LinkedServer].[DBName].dbo.MyTable" (as opposed to using "select <rowguid column name>...".

Against a locally-connected database, the following SQL command works as expected:

SELECT rowguidcol from dbo.MyTable

However, If I run the same query against a linked server (using the 4-part notation), it fails with an 'Invalid column name 'rowguidcol'' error:

SELECT rowguidcol from [LinkedServer].[MyDB].dbo.MyTable

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Invalid column name 'rowguidcol'.

I've searched around but can't seem to find any info that tells me definitively that I can't use rowguidcol against linked tables, so I'm wondering if I'm just doing something wrong?

Any ideas on how to get around this issue would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to use actual column names, as this is for generated scripts.

More Info:
    > I can select the data just fine from the linked server if I use the column name - so I don't think it's a configuration or permissions issue.

> The row I'm trying to view is, in fact, a rowguidcol. I used the exact same script to create the table on both the local (where select rowguidcol works) and the linked (where it doesn't) servers.

> Both servers are MS SQL 2005 Standard with SP2
    Last edited by brentbordelon; 04-25-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added more info

Tried with openquery like following?

SELECT * from openquery([LinkedServer], 'select rowguidcol from [MyDB].dbo.MyTable')