Thread: Reading WMI information via sp_OA* procedures

Reading WMI information via sp_OA* procedures

Okay, so here's my dilemma: I'm trying to figure out a way I can get a list of drives, users, groups, etc. from computers on the network. There are a couple of caveats:

1) This has to be done entirely using T-SQL. There can be no external components that need to be installed.
    2) xp_cmdshell can NOT be used, both for security reasons and because some of the computers being polled do not have SQL Server installed.

I would like to use the sp_OA* stored procedures. So far I have been able to connect to a remote server and find the running state of SQL Server; however, when it comes to enumerating collections I'm kinda lost.

This has also been posted in the MS-SQL general forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A Start, perhaps ...

At least some discussion re: the AD portion of your objectives.

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...1273100&page=1

with an embedded link pointing to even more specifics about the difficulties, etc.:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1076237

Hope this at least provides a place to start in your planning and design process. Let us know how it goes!

Bill

RE: Reading WMI information via sp_OA* procedures

Bill:

Appreciate the input, but I've already got the AD piece built (and yes, I am using the sp_OA* procedures to get around the 1000 record limit) and I can get virtually an unlimited number of user/group records (the company I'm doing this for has approximately 15K users and 3,500 groups).

My question is how to connect to WMI to get local information for each server on the network: number of local drives, capcities and remaining space on each of these drives, users and groups from each server, etc.

Thanks!