Thread: Data Normalization -- HELP!

Data Normalization -- HELP!

I'm working on a normalization for one of my classes and I've been sick and I feel lost now, could one of you please look at my database statements and tell me if/what is wrong with it?

FIRE_REPORT(FireID,Alarms,Address,FiremanID,Firema nName,FiremanPhone,FiremanHomeStation,StationAddre ss,StationPhone,TruckID,License,TruckHomeStation)

I came up with..

TruckID->License,TruckHome
    FireID->Alarms,Address
    FiremanID->FiremanName,FiremanPhone,FiremanHomeStaion,Statio nAddress,StationPhone

Which lead to...

FIRE(FireID,Alarms,Address)
    FIREMAN(FiremanID,FiremanName,FiremanPhone,FiremanHomeStation,Stati onAddress,StationPhone)
    TRUCK(TruckID,License,TruckHome)
    FIRE_REPORT(FireID,FiremanID,TruckID)
    Referencial Integriety Statements

FireID in FIRE_Report must exist in FireID in FIRE

FiremanID in FIRE_Report must exist in Fireman

TruckID in FIRE_REPORT must exist in TruckID in TRUCK

You will need an entity for Firestation itself because you are repeating firestation information for each fireman.

Could someone show me what I need to do, im having a real hard time with this

Why don't ask your professor or classmates?

I was under the impression this was the "ask a expert" section of the database forum

But not for home work.

Jeez. Why does it seem everyone gets a stick up their ass as soon as they think that this is "Homework" which its NOT. It is class related but I dont see how that makes any difference unless this is too difficult for the "experts." Which I would hope its not. Anyways, its still me trying to learn the topic of databasing and "ask an expect" sure sounds appropriate for any of my question/learning needs. Jeez, get over yourself moderator.

Anyone have suggestions/help?

A. Experts usually have full time job and try to help people who are in desparate need.
    B. We prioritize the questions based on the urgency and need
    C. When you become an expert/moderator, you would do the same. If somebody as a question "How to get current date and time?" in the expert forum, usually we answer check Books Online.
    D. We usually do not tolerate any un-parliamentary language like you use.

This is what I would do for the Database Design. Remember Depends on the environment the normalization design process change. Design completely changes in different environment like OLTP, ODS, Reporting, DW.

I am assuming you are designing for your Class related project [OLTP environment]

FIRE_STATION(FirestationID(PK), FiremanHomeStation, StationAddress, StationPhone)
    FIREMAN(FiremanID(PK), FiremanName, FiremanPhone, FirestationID)
    TRUCK(TruckID(PK), License, TruckHome)
    FIRE(FireID (PK), Alarms, Address)
    FIRE_REPORT(FirereportID(PK), FireID(FK of FIRE), FiremanID (FK of fireman), TruckID (FK of Truck))

Thank you all You've all been alot of help although I don't respect the second to last statement up because I never saw any restrictions which relate to terminology; however, I do appreciate the guidance.