Thread: Student Database Design

Student Database Design

Hi folks,

I'm building a database to store student exam results so that transcripts can automatically generated. This is a final year project for university so the database will never be used. I am a complete amateur when it comes to designing databases.

student_db.jpeg

I have attached the relational schema for the database. I'd be grateful if someone who knows about proper design could tell me if its ok (from the point of view referential integrity and normalization etc).

I'd really appreciate helpful comments.

Regards,

sabatier

Just to explain a few things:
    1) In the OverallMarks table, MarkType refers to whether the overall mark (i.e. 1st honours, 2nd honours) is for JF (Junior Freshman), SF(Senior Freshman) and so on.
    2) In the ExamResults table, YearOfStudy refers to JF, SF, JS or SS. Year refers to the actual year the exam was sat e.g. 2007.
    3) The data in the database will be coming from Excel spreadsheets, so my database will not be doing any calculations on the data. That's why I'm storing the overall mark instead of calculating it from the ExamResults table.
    Last edited by sabatier; 02-28-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Does "University" Condone Collaborative Projects?

Are you collaborating on a "Final" project for a grade? Is that allowed within the policies / regulations of your educational institution?

Things must be pretty loose, these days...

Bill