Thread: connecting SQL Server with oracle forms 9i/10g

connecting SQL Server with oracle forms 9i/10g

Could anyone please guide me in detail to connect Oracle Forms 9i/10g with MS SQL Server database?

To connect with Oracle Database, we need to copy and paste the tnsnames.ora file from the Oracle Database folder to the Oracle Forms folder.

But how do i connect with other databases like SQL Server, MS Access, and so on?

Thanks in advance.

In sql server, you can connect to other data sources with linked server.

Re:

Now I'm fully in a confused and frustrated state. Each person is saying different solutions for the problem. One person is saying to connect using ODBC driver while other is saying to connect using JDBC driver and so on.

Actually which driver/server should I configure? Also no one is giving a clear picture for the problem.

How can I get a detailed solution for this problem (with screen shots) which include step by step procedure to configure a driver or to get connected with Oracle Forms using SQL Server?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rmiao

Re:

Following is what I got from Oracle Forum:
    """"<<<
    You should be aware that Oracle SQL is not quite the same as Microsoft SQL, so some of your code will give errors.

In the past, Oracle did a product called Oracle Gateway Server, which acted as a interpreter layer between Oracle applications and MS SQL Server - it would be worth investigating this, as I think it is your best hope.

Assuming that you can connect forms to MS SQLServer direct (and I have my doubts), I would expect that it would be via a JDBC driver....

However, Microsoft's own docs say: "It is not possible to modify an Oracle Forms application for interoperation with a Microsoft® SQL Server™ database, and it is recommended that applications of this type are rewritten." source: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sol.../or2sql17.mspx

cheers,

J

"""">>>>

There are multiple solutions for an issue usually, you have to test them to find which one works for you.

Re:

I do admit that there are several ways to sort out a problem. Eventhough none of them is giving a detailed solution as I've requested for, atleast some steps to guide.

There are multiple solutions for an issue usually, you have to test them to find which one works for you.

Because your original post is not clear, people are unable to give you detailed suggestion.