Thread: Database Mirroring Setup Question...

Exclamation Database Mirroring Setup Question...

Hi, I'm having an issue setting up Database Mirroring. The environment here could be an issue.

I'm trying to set this up using 2 different servers both are SQL Ent Edition SP2, windows 2003. I'm not using a witness at this time. The 2 servers do not belong to a domain. They are both in workgroups.

I can setup the endpoints and everything up to the point just before I start mirroring. The issues happen when I go to start mirroring. It gives me a nasty error "please use a FQDN to establish the endpoints. The problem here is I don’t have any FQDN for these servers since they're in a Workgroup.

So, my question here is and I haven't found anything stating that you can't set up mirroring in a workgroup environment but is it possible? I'm assuming since its yelling at me for a FQDN that I can't. Is there any other ways to implement mirroring without a domain?

Thanks for your time, help!

Well I tried this one more time. I tried to use Certificates for database mirroring.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms191477.aspx

I followed all the steps outlined in that article and everything looks to be correct and set up the way the article states. After I set up all the certs etc... I then restored the database and transaction log on the server I want as the mirror and left it in a restore state. I then started to configure mirroring from the primary server using the wizard, it found all the end points on both servers that I created etc... but when I go to start mirroring it still fails with the same error. "Use a FQDN to connect to the mirror\endpoints etc...

It looks like you need the servers to be in a domain or at least a trusted domain because the servers in a workgroup do not have a FQDN.

Any ideas or am I correct with my assumptions?

Thanks again!

Can you use host file in Windows for server1.abc.com and server2.abc.com and use them as FQDNs.

Also you are in SQL 2000 forun instead of SQL 2005

We are using sql2005 I'm unable to use sql 2000 not sure what you meant by forun.

I never set up a host file before to use them as FQDNS, do you have a link or a document on how to do this? I will research that as well.

thanks for your help.

Got it, i just need to add the IP and a FQDN of my choice to the host file on each server.

correct?

Talking

Hi guys. I just wanted to let you know that adding an entry into the host file for the servers WORKED.

After I added the entries I then used the FQDN I creaded in the host files in the wizard and mirroring started with no issues!

Thanks for your suggestion, it saved me a lot of time.

Thanks!!!

What skhanal said is that you should post this issue in sql2k5 forum.

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realize I was posting this on the 2k forum.

My bad, is it possible to move it to that area?

Isn't forun a synonym for forum

I have thick fingers, especially for a laptop.

hahah you confused me there I was like forun why do I want to go for a run?
    LOL

Anyway, thanks for your help this worked great for what I had to do.