Thread: DTS and Primary Key Problem

DTS and Primary Key Problem

I am trying to set up a DTS to transfer logging data from one server to another.
    The record may already exist at the destination causing a primary key violation. I do not want this error to cause the entire DTS to fail.

When I execute the DTS I created by right clicking and selecting "Execute Package" it shows me 2 errors. Although there are 2 errors the rows that do not have a primary key violation are successfully transfered to the destination database.
    Here are the 2 errors I see:

Error 1:
    Error at Destination for Row number 97. Errors encountered so far in this task: 97.
    The statement has been terminated.
    Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_event'. Cannot insert duplicate key object 'event'.

Error 2:
    Error at Destination for Row number 198. Errors encountered so far in this task: 198.
    The statement has been terminated.
    Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_eventDetail'. Cannot insert duplicate key object 'eventDetail'.

These errors make sense, there were 97 duplicate lines in the event table and 198 duplicates in the eventDetail table.

This is the behavior I want. New rows are copied to the destination database.

When I schedule the DTS as a Job in the Enterprise manager things change. When the DTS is executed as a Job (as opposed to me right clicking and selecting "Execute Package"), the job reports a failure and none of the new rows are transfered to the destination database.

Why does the DTS transfer the rows that do not violate the Primary Key constraint when I manually execute it and not when it is executed as a job?

How can I get the DTS to function as desired?

Thanks,

Andy

The problem was related to where the job was being executed.
    When running the DTS from enterprise manager it was executing on a different server than it was when executed as a scheduled job.
    The server that was running the job when it was scheduled did not have the folder used to contain the log file. It's okay if the file is missing, it will be created the first time there is information to log. The folder containing the log file must be created manually.
    After doing this the Scheduled job completed successfully.

Andy