Thread: SQL Server Agent did not auto-start

SQL Server Agent did not auto-start

Hello everyone! We had an issue this week where SQL Server Agent did not restart automatically. Weekly maintenance runs on the server each Sunday in which a reboot of the server occurs. Both SQL Server and SQL Server Agent are set to auto-start when OS starts. SQL started fine, but SQL Server Agent didn't.

Anyone know of a reason why SQL Server Agent wouldn't have restarted? Also, does anyone know of a way to set something up that would alert me (through email) if this service hasn't restarted?

Thanks in advance,
    Lance

Check SQL Agent and SQL Server error logs as well as Windows event logs.

Thanks! I've looked at both the event logs and SQL logs, but I'm not seeing any errors that would have prevented Agent from starting. I do see where they rebooted the server three times yesterday. The first two times, Agent restarted as normal, but the third time it didn't.

Checked sql agent error log? Should have entries in it and windows app event log if service failed to start. To send alert, you need windows monitoring tool.

Hmmm, well I thought I had checked the Agent error log. Maybe I had only checked the SQL logs. Let me go find it. Thanks.

Ahh, finally found an error in the system section of the event log.
    "The SQLSERVERAGENT service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. "

Now, to find out why it didn't respond.

Check if it has dependency set on MSSQLServer service, normally it should.

Hello! Thanks for the help. Yes, dependency is set upon MSSQLServer. MSSQL did start sucessfully. I found out that an error window appeared when the server was rebooted, however it was ignored by the operator at the time. I have since been informed that the operator during the weekly reboot will verify that SQLServer Agent is back up. Thanks!