Thread: sql server 2005 - active/active cluster with accumlative update (KB936305) issue

sql server 2005 - active/active cluster with accumlative update (KB936305) issue

Hi
    I have an active\active (2 nodes) SQL server 2005 cluster (on windows 2003)
    I have applied SP2(9.00.3042) to Both nodes. Also I have installed KB936305 (9.00.3175) accumulative update which fixes few 2005 issues.
    Everything has been running fine until we have decided to add another node to the cluster.
    I’ve logged into one of the existing nodes and installed SQL server 2005 on the new node.

Problem: when I have tried to push the SP2 across the cluster, installed complained that it can not apply SP2 as the other two nodes are on the higher build number. And I can not install KB936305 before installing sp2 as it is an accumulative update, and can not install SP2 and the other two node already are on 9.00.3175
    So it is a deadlock case

Would anyone please give me idea how to fix this issue.
    Thanks

Uninstall setup support files on existing nodes first and reinstall it from original installation pack by running sqlsupport.msi. Then apply sp2 from new node.

Thank for your feedback,
    but the two esiting node already have got SP2+accumulative update on them and I can't install them!!
    do you mean I have to uninstall it using sqlsupport.msi? and if yes is that msi file part of the initial (base ) sql 2005 installtion files?
    Thanks

Not uninstall sp2, just uninstall sql setup support files since OS keeps version info in those files.

for for bing dumm,
    just to clerify:
    I will uninstall the "sql setup support files" from both nodes
    and then will try to push SP2 again across the cluster (which it will get applied to new node)
    and then apply the accumlative update on the new node
    am I missing anything
    Cheers
    Shaunt

Nope, please read rmiao's post to the end of the sentence and adjust your plan to the following:

I will uninstall the "sql setup support files" from both nodes
    reinstall it from original installation pack by running sqlsupport.msi
    and then will try to push SP2 again across the cluster (which it will get applied to new node)
    and then apply the accumlative update on the new node

Dave

Dave is right.

Thanks guys!