Thread: How to restore DTS package without a backup?

How to restore DTS package without a backup?

One of my team member accidently deleted one of the dts pkg and I am very new to the team. How can we restore DTS package? There is no old backup for msdb database but I do have the mdf and ldf files and mdf file is dated 9/30/07. I checked that particular dts pkg is not in the sysdtspackages table anymore. My team doesn't save all the dts pkg to a files. Is it still possible to restore that dts pkg??? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

You can try to attach mdf file in a separate box and get record out of sysdtspackage and insert into msdb..sysdtspackage.

will *.mdf still contain that pkg??? How do i copy the mdf file?? it gave me a message " there has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use. Please help.

Are these .mdf and .ldf files separate from the ones that your msdb database is currently using? If so, and if you are getting a sharing violation error, that probably means that those files are being used by another live database somewhere. If that is the case, then you can script out the DTS package from that other database. However, it sounds like those files are the same ones that are currently being used by your msdb database. Every database uses at least one database file (which usually has the .mdf or .ndf extension) and a transaction log file (which usually has the .ldf extension). If you don't have a backup of your msdb database, and if you don't have separate .mdf and .ldf files from a previous version of your msdb database, then you are probably out of luck.

Thanks very much for the help. Does anybody know how to track who delete the DTS pkg from sql server?? Or who has logged on the the server during certain period of time?? thanks

No, sql doesn't save that.