Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unable to deploy sql server express

Question unable to deploy sql server express

I have been trying to make my sql server database available to external users, but have not succeeded. On the local network everything works as it should, but from a remote computer it fails to make a connection. As far as I can see, I have taken all necessary steps:

- TCP is enabled for SQL services
    - Port 1433 is forwarded in the router to the appropriate computer
    - The firewall is instructed to accept connections (or even switched off entirely, which made no difference)

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Maarten

What kind of network? Can you ping sql server from remote machine?

Try to connect through the internet. Server is there all right, hosting websites and all that

Again, can you ping sql server from remote machine? Is sql port open? Did you get any error?

Yes I can ping the server and sql port 1433 is open. The server is also running websites; no problems there.

SQL server management studio express as well as a visual basic application come with the message that they cannot connect to the database, suggesting SQL server is not tuned to accept remote connections, which it is. TCP is enabled for all protocols.

Both applications work fine when run on the server itself or on a computer in the local network the server is on.

The only explanation I can think of is that the express version of MS SQL server does not allow remote connections from outside the local network. I have not found a source for that though.

Did you enable remote access in sql server surface area configuration? It's disabled by default. And is sql server browser service running on the server?

Yes, I enabled Local and remote connections, using TCP/IP only.
    Sql Server browser is running and UDP port 1434 is forwarded to the server

is that named instance or default?

It's the named instance "SQLExpress" which is used by default

Double check port number used, named instance uses dynamic port number by default.

It's port number 1433 alright. In Sql Server Configuration Manager/Protocols for SQLEXPRESS/TCP/IP properties the TCP port for IPALL is set to 1433

How did you connect to sql server in ssms express from remote machine? Specified correct instance name? Which authentication used? Tested in odbc?

I used SQL Server authentication, all parameters correct. Everything works when connecting through the local network. I use the same laptop when trying to connect outside. No connection then.

Something seems to be working when I connect without naming the instance in the connection string. This seems to be in contradiction with the documentation, but anyway.

What do you mean 'without naming the instance in the connection string'? Is it default instance?