Thread: SQL 6.5 Remote Servers / Replication

Steve Farmer Guest

SQL 6.5 Remote Servers / Replication

Hi

I have two SQL Servers (6.5). One based in London (LDNINNTS9) and one in New York (NYINNTS2).

I had bidirectional replication set up on one table in a DB and everything is (WAS!!!) working fine. Came to work this morning (Monday typical!) and the following has happened.

When I select the remote servers option on the NY server from Enterprise manager I get the following error message

Unable to connect to site '0'because '' is not defined as a remote server.

Now it says that '' is not defined as a remote server. So I did a select of @@Servername and it has returned (null). It was set to NYINNTS2. I have tried executing some ISQL to change the name and started and stopped the SQL Services but the name remains (null). Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to set the name up as it was?

I know that the Server name gets set to null if it is invalid, but I am trying to set it to NYINNTS2, which should not be invalid? Does the domain name impact the validity of the name?

HELP!!!!

Regards

Steve Farmer

Ray Miao Guest

SQL 6.5 Remote Servers / Replication (reply)

Check with your NY office and make sure your network is working.

------------
    Steve Farmer at 8/23/99 6:26:44 AM

Hi

I have two SQL Servers (6.5). One based in London (LDNINNTS9) and one in New York (NYINNTS2).

I had bidirectional replication set up on one table in a DB and everything is (WAS!!!) working fine. Came to work this morning (Monday typical!) and the following has happened.

When I select the remote servers option on the NY server from Enterprise manager I get the following error message

Now it says that '' is not defined as a remote server. So I did a select of @@Servername and it has returned (null). It was set to NYINNTS2. I have tried executing some ISQL to change the name and started and stopped the SQL Services but the name remains (null). Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to set the name up as it was?

I know that the Server name gets set to null if it is invalid, but I am trying to set it to NYINNTS2, which should not be invalid? Does the domain name impact the validity of the name?

HELP!!!!

Regards

Steve Farmer

Steve Farmer Guest

The network is fine. Since I can ping the WINS name for the NY server. Also in Enterprise manager I can connect to the server but I keep on getting the Unable to connect to site '0'because '' is not defined as a remote server error message.

Two servers exist in the sysservers table on the NY server (the NY server and the LDN server). The London server is fine by the way. So where does it keep the @@servername. Or if it is determining the name to be invalid, is there anyway do see what it is using to determine the @@servername.

------------
    Ray Miao at 8/23/99 9:06:20 AM

------------

Hi

HELP!!!!

Regards

Steve Farmer

Ray Miao Guest

Try re-add remote server.

------------
    Steve Farmer at 8/23/99 10:42:15 AM

The network is fine. Since I can ping the WINS name for the NY server. Also in Enterprise manager I can connect to the server but I keep on getting the Unable to connect to site '0'because '' is not defined as a remote server error message.

Two servers exist in the sysservers table on the NY server (the NY server and the LDN server). The London server is fine by the way. So where does it keep the @@servername. Or if it is determining the name to be invalid, is there anyway do see what it is using to determine the @@servername.

------------

------------

Hi

HELP!!!!

Regards

Steve Farmer

Steve Farmer Guest

I have suceeded!!! Yippeee!

Not quite sure at what point it was fixed. But basically I PC Anywhere'd onto the server, and basically tried to remove the remote servers from the Ent. Manager (These failed). Then I used the sp_add(drop)server and to my amazement it dropped the server and readded a local server. Stopped and Started, and hey presto!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Steve

------------
    Ray Miao at 8/23/99 10:50:44 AM

Try re-add remote server.

------------
    Steve Farmer at 8/23/99 10:42:15 AM

------------

------------

Hi

HELP!!!!

Regards

Steve Farmer

Add Remote Server

Please you can explain me, how add a remote server, en SQL 6.5, i need this so urgent please please. Thanks

Tried sp_addserver? Double check books online.

SQL 6.5 Remote Servers

at the end i found the option in Server o Manage --> Remote Servers, but it never works because i have the SQL 6.5 installed on Win2000 SP4 and i founded a hotfix, but i founded problems with that hotfix, finally my boss decide move the database , thank you