Thread: Access 2000 database using Access 2003 and VISTA

Access 2000 database using Access 2003 and VISTA

I was asked to help solve this problem and I am seeking some guidance.

Prior to the company upgrading from Windows XP and Access 2000 to VISTA and Access 2003, they were able to open a database, that is Access 2000 format, to display a login screen, after entering a valid User Id and Password they click on the ENTER button to display a switchboard menu.

Now, this is the problem. Using VISTA and Access 2003 and the same Access 2000 database when they open the database the Login screen is displayed. They enter their User Id and Passsword then click on the ENTER button the database appears to hang and no switchboard menu is displayed.

There is code behind the ENTER button to validate the User ID and Password, if the User ID and Password are valid then the switchboard menu should be displayed

I do not have VISTA on my computer to test this condition. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Allan

Allan,
    I don't have any idea why this would hang in Vista with Access 2003. Could you post enough of this database so we could test it? Basically, enough of the DB so the Switchboard form could be displayed. That way, someone can test the actual DB on a machine with Vista and Access 2003.

I have a vitual machine on my PC running Vista, and I would be happy to load 2003 on that vitual machine if you can post at least the partial DB.

Vic

Golfer Guy

Thank you for your assistance.

I found the problem, it was due to a LAN upgrade going from Windows 2000 and Access 2000 to VISTA and Access 2003. The database had a front end and a back end that work with the correct linking, BUT in the new configuration the name of the directory where the back end resided was changed. I assumed that the directory would not changed. Any way another problem solved.

Allan
    Allan

Allen, Now that you have a client that has Vista, you might want to consider buying a TechNet subscription. I don't know the price in Australia, but here in the USA it is less than the cost of Vista. And Vista is one of the software packages you can download for free if you are a TechNet subscriber. Plus there are many other software packages available from Microsoft that you can download, all for free, as a TechNet subscriber. Microsoft Virtual PC is a free download for anyone, then Vista is free for the TechNet subscriber, and if your system can handle Vista, you can create the Virtual PC on your existing system to be a Vista OS for the virtual PC. I have found it to be a wonderful addition and I did not have to give up my XP system. So now I have a platform, for the price of TechNet, where I can test things with Vista, and Office 2007, for the low price of TechNet.
    And no, I'm not on commission with Microsoft. It is just a really great subscription offer from Microsoft!

Allan

Thanks for posting your findings. My friend has been having some trouble from upgrading. I'll share your post with her and it might be a great help.