Thread: how to delete rows using linked server

how to delete rows using linked server

Hi,
    I have two mssql databases. I am able to create a linked server.
    I want to delete some of the rows using this linked server.

Here HAFEEZ is one mssql database and DPVSQSL is another.So, i want to delete rows from DPVSQL from HAFEEZ using HAFEEZDPVSQL linkedserver.

DELETE OPENQUERY (HAFEEZTODPVSQL, 'SELECT EVENT_SYS_ID FROM DIS_MEASMT_FTR_ACTUAL WHERE EVENT_SYS_ID = ''evesysid0015''');

when i run the query i got the following error.

"Msg 7356, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "HAFEEZTODPVSQL" supplied inconsistent metadata for a column. The column "EVENT_SYS_ID" (compile-time ordinal 1) of object "SELECT EVENT_SYS_ID FROM DIS_MEASMT_FTR_ACTUAL WHERE EVENT_SYS_ID = 'evesysid0015'" was reported to have a "Incomplete schema-error logic." of 0 at compile time and 0 at run time."

Please note that i am able to query something using this linked server,please see the below query.

SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY (HAFEEZTODPVSQL, 'SELECT EVENT_SYS_ID FROM DIS_MEASMT_FTR_ACTUAL WHERE EVENT_SYS_ID = ''evesysid0015''');

Can anyone please help me regarding this.

Thanks and Regards,
    Hafeez.

Tried those:

SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY (HAFEEZTODPVSQL, 'DELETE db_name.owner.DIS_MEASMT_FTR_ACTUAL WHERE EVENT_SYS_ID = ''evesysid0015''');

delete HAFEEZTODPVSQL.db_name.owner.DIS_MEASMT_FTR_ACTUAL WHERE EVENT_SYS_ID = ''evesysid0015''
    Last edited by rmiao; 06-19-2007 at 09:19 AM.

Hi,
    Thanks for the info.
    I tried your first statement whith some littile modifications and i got the follwoing error.

SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY (HAFEEZTODPVSQL, 'DELETE dpvsql.dbo.DIS_MEASMT_FTR_ACTUAL WHERE EVENT_SYS_ID = ''evesysid0015''');

Msg 7357, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    Cannot process the object "DELETE dpvsql.dbo.DIS_MEASMT_FTR_ACTUAL WHERE EVENT_SYS_ID = 'evesysid0015'". The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "HAFEEZTODPVSQL" indicates that either the object has no columns or the current user does not have permissions on that object.

When i tried second statement with little modifications got the following error.

delete HAFEEZTODPVSQL.db_name.owner.DIS_MEASMT_FTR_ACTUAL WHERE EVENT_SYS_ID = 'evesysid0015'

Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "HAFEEZTODPVSQL" reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error.
    Msg 7312, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Invalid use of schema or catalog for OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "HAFEEZTODPVSQL". A four-part name was supplied, but the provider does not expose the necessary interfaces to use a catalog or schema.

Please give ur input.

Thanks and Regards,
    Hafeez.

Which version of sql server you use? Where did you run the query?

Hi,
    My MS SQL SERVER version is :

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86) Oct 14 2005 00:33:37 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2)

And i am running the queries in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.

Please Please...try to help me.

Thanks and Regards,
    Hafeez.

Tested with four-part name on my sql2k5 sp2 servers, worked fine. Did you replace db_name and owner with real ones?