Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 Postback Issue

Exclamation SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 Postback Issue

I have a Reporting Services 2005 report which uses cascading parameter multi-select drop-down boxes. The report runs perfect after making initial selections. However, each subsequent parameter selection causes the page to refresh to a blank page until the View Report button is clicked. What I would like to happen (which should be the norm) is for the user to be able to make all necessary selections without the page auto-refreshing after each selection. The user would then click the View Report button to regenerate the report. We are currently using reports which contain up to 5 cascading parameters. This becomes very time-consuming when the page refreshes after each selection.

Has anyone come across a solution or code alternative to this problem??

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Here's One Option I Think Will Help ...

This is a frequently reported problem that results from the presence of code in the default expression, such as defaulting a date, etc. Using VB, other syntax, or even just "=1" is enough to force reevaluation in RS. Even in simple espressions (such as "=2007"), the presence of the equals (" = ") sign appears to trigger reevaluation by RS - unfortunately every time any other param is changed. This causes the "postback" you describe - and an underwhelming waste of time for the information consumer.

A fairly simple workaround can be effected via conversions of the VB expression(s) involved into datasets that return values based on an SQL statement.

For a very clear, detailed discussion of the issue and the workaround option I'm suggesting, see the following:

http://maxqtech.com/CS/blogs/david_l...2/08/3520.aspx

A quick read of this short, well-written blog entry will be well worth your time, if you want to provide a user-friendly interface that doesn't force a refresh of each parameter with any change to params, etc.

Let us know if this does it for you!

Bill

Thanks Island1. Yes, this helps tremendously with non-dependent filters. I will go through my reports and implement this workaround. Hopefully, the next release of SQL Server will resolve this issue and give us more control over postbacks.

Thanks a million.

Tony

Thanks for the Feedback ...

Thanks for letting us know I was able to help ... Keep us posted on progress!

Bill

Could not open the link.

Hi Bill,

I ran into a similar problem as Tony.

I tried to view the work around using the link provided by you.... But it just results in an error...

http://maxqtech.com/CS/blogs/david_l...2/08/3520.aspx

Any help appreciated.

Thanks a million.

All Alone.

Looks Like the Page is No Longer in Place ...

I'll see if I can locate it ... if not, I'll post a transcript / summary ... I have a copy ...

Bill

Two References with Discussion ...

Still pursuing the missing link (a la Darwin, I suppose ...), but here are two discussions with guidance ...

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...84284&SiteID=1

http://www.codeprof.com/dev-archive/...82-844199.shtm

Please e-mail me at wep3@islandtechnologies.com , if you still need the original article.

HTH,

Bill

Thank you for reply..

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the prompt reply....

Shall let you know the progress.... Keep us posted.

Once again, Thanks a million

Regards,
    All Alone.

Glad to Be of Help!

Thanks for taking the time to confirm that this was helpful. I'm sending you a copy of the transcript I mentioned, via your direct e-mail address, which I received independently this AM.

Let me know if I can assist further!

Bill

I come across the same problem. Can I have a copy of the transcript on how to work around the problem? Bill, I have sent the request to you email. Thanks.

Bill, can you send me the code as well? I am running into the same dilema

Send Me Your Contact Info ...

Send me an e-mail address, and I'll get it you an abstract ...

Bill

Get the Docs I Sent?

I sent the transcript out to the individuals connected with this post who sent me their e-mail addresses. I believe I got everyone.

Let me know if I can offer further assistance. I'll be publishing an article on this in my Reporting Services column at some point - hopefully soon.

Bill

Need Blog Transcript

Bill,

If you could send me the transcript also that would be great!

Just Sent You a Copy via E-mail ...

Sorry re: any delay.

HTH,

Bill