Thread: List cubes of a database with MDX

List cubes of a database with MDX

Hi everybody
    i'm using analysis services (sql server 2000) and i want to know the cubes of a multidimensional database with an mdx query.
    Thanks

Better to Approach it with one of the Metadata Tools

As you are new to the AS environment, your needs will not likely end at listing cubes. It would benefit you to get a handle on all the metadata possible, using, as a "kickstart, perhaps, something like the OLAP Scribe Utility (see the Microsoft Download center and numerous other places). The BI Accelerator and other options exist, as well, depending upon the need, etc. Most AS 2k metadata utilities are based upon DSO, which enables access to the AS DB, etc., and the generation of object documentation.

From these (typically pretty open) utilities, you can explore DSO further, as desired (I used it for many things in reporting of the AS2k metadata layer, etc.), but keep in mind that the DSO foundation shifts with AS2k5 - so don't dump a prodigious amount of time / money into creating a mechanism that will need to be largely rewritten when you migrate your client / employer.

Best of Luck!

Bill