Thread: Analysis Services: Accessing views not in the DSV

Cool Analysis Services: Accessing views not in the DSV

Hi:
    I am working within a cube designed by a consultant here who suddenly had to go back to India. I need to access a view I have recently created in the RDBMS, which does not appear in the existing DSV.

1) Can I add a view to the DSV with the other tables already there?
    2) What are my other options for pulling in a single column of the view (that is, without adding the new view to the pre-existing DSV ...)?

Thanks.

Vinnie

Try right click the diagram view pane in DSV and choose add/remove tables.

A Few More Details / Pointers ...

As with so many other considerations in SSAS 2k5 cube design, you have several options here. But to answer your first question: Yes, you can add the new view to the existing DSV. To do so, one approach might be to simply right-click the DSV, and then select Add / Remove Tables (as the earlier response indicated) … from the context menu that appears.

When the Add / Remove Tables dialog opens, select the new view from the Available Objects pane (left half) of the dialog for inclusion within the Included Objects pane (right half) of the dialog. (This assumes, of course, that the view physically exists within the database specified by the respective data source ... if not, you'll need a supporting data source in place ...).

You can also add a Named Query to the Data Source View that pulls in the specific column(s) you need. There are also other options available. (If neither of these does it for you, get back with the specifics and we'll try to help further).

Let us know how it goes, and as further specific questions develop.

Good Luck.

Bill