Thread: DTs in Sql Server2005

DTs in Sql Server2005

Hello evrybody..........
    hope u all r doing fine ...well i hve a little problem that i hve installed sql server2005 express edition on my machine and now i just want to import my clients database which is on Acess but m not getting DTS wizard anywhere in 2005 edition so what should i do....infact i found the exe of dtswizrd in program files microsoft sql server folder but when i hit that exe it throws error that one of the file is could not be loaded it is SQLSVC.RLL file...so what should i do shall i reinstall my package ???and even m not confirmed that the free packageof 2005 which i hve downloaded by download center..wheather microsoft gives the whole package or not???like because here in my package i don't find DTS wizard anywhere like we have in 2000 package....
    So does anybody help me Plz?????
    hope for a positive reply from all u experts .........
    thnks

You need install SSIS which replaced dts.

You don't need to install SSIS. A 2000 DTS script will run on 2005 if you have these dll loaded

INSTALLATION NOTES FOR DATA TRANSFORMATION SERVICES (DTS)
    ---------------------------------------------------------

dtsffile.dll
    dtspkg.dll
    dtspump.dll
    axscphst.dll
    sqlresld.dll

The sqlunirl.dll file should reside in the system folder (i.e., \winnt\system32 or \windows\system).

Just run DTS from a command line and it will tell you if any of the dlls are missing

True, but you can't create new package nor edit old ones with them.

Well, if the problem is only transfer data from Access to MSSQL then you can use 3rd party utilities, instead of manipulating with DLLs.

You can install Legacy component of SQL 2005 client tool which allows you to edit existing DTS packages without converting them to SSIS.

Question How can I install that Legacy?

I saw a folder called Legacy and I can see from my Microsoft SQL Managemet Studio, Some DTS I created on SQL Server 2000 but I can't access them .

Did you connect as sysadmin? Should be able to edit them by right click on it and choose open.