Thread: JSP or PHP for connecting to Oracle

JSP or PHP for connecting to Oracle

Hi everyone.

My client is very pro JSP; however, I would prefer to use PHP to connect to an Oracle DB, as I am more familiar with it. What advantages, if any, does JSP offer over PHP, specifically with regard to connecting to an Oracle DB?

Thanks.

None that I am aware of. But beware of the platform you are developing on. Your client might only have a JSP available hosting environment, in which case your choice is made for you.

Both PHP and JSP have libraries to deal with Oracle connections but I believe that they are much of a muchness. Ultimately you will be designing queries in stored procedures in Oracle anyway and connection and querying is going to be relevantly similar in both JSP and PHP. Each requiring a connection string in the same format "dsn: oracle; username=blah;password=blah;database=blah;" or something thereabouts. I expect JSP has better grounding in active data objects than PHP but unless you're going to be using AJAX given that websites essentially use a stateless protocol I recommend you do it in whatever language you are more fluent in.

I would like to point out that I have limited knowledge of connecting to Oracle using PHP and make no guarantees regarding my OPINIONS here.

How To Get The Date Difference In Sql Query Using Oracle Database