Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SQL 2005 service problem

SQL 2005 service problem

I have a strange problem. I'm trying to start the sql server service and the server agent under a domain account but the services are not starting. If i use the same domain account for the browser service it will start just fine. This account is part the the local admin group. I'm not sure why this wouldnt start if the browser service is starting?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Any error messages? Does the account have all sql required user permissions? Member of local admin doesn't necessary to have all those permissions.

I have to get the logs and see what find. The thing is I cant get the sql server service to even start. Would I still be able to start the sql browser service with a domain account but not the sql server service using the same domain account?

I'm also not able to use a local account to start the services.

Error Message 1:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    sometimes i can start the services in the SAC tool but they dont show as started in the services, I cant start them in the services as well.

My first thought is - i need to be able to start the services before i can do anything correct? So i guess its a login issue with the domain account but the kicker i cant even start them with a local account.

Did you enable named pipes and/or tcp/ip protocols on the server?

Yes I enabled them in the SAC and enabled remote connections.

Is it new installation? Any error during installation? Seems named pipes' setting is not correct.

The installation is about 2 months old and this is the first time we have seen the issue. After a few reboots the services are now starting but i'm not sure why this has happend in the first place.

I'm afraid it may happen again and no one knows of a fix for this issue. I guess we will have to call Microsoft and see what they say.

Did you apply sp1 and post sp1 fixes yet?

SP1 has been applied but sp1 post hotfix 918222 has not been applied.

918222 is post sp1 correct?

Yes, but should still check named pipes setting.

I finally found an answer. I was talking with Microsoft and going over the stack dumps and the dump that caused the error matched exactly to the dump that this fix is for.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924346/

It was an SSIS package that executed 2 min prior to the fatal errors. MS had to send me a hotfix which will be included in SP2. They told me that sp2 will be out in 3-4 weeks, not sure how true that is. This hotfix is not in the post sp1 hotfix that we talked about here.

Thanks for your help, at least we have found a cause and possible fix. If you run SSIS packages i suggest trying to get this fix if you cant wait for sp2.

Thanks for the update.