Richard Obuhowich from Ontario wrote to me directly:

I just wanted to drop you a quick e-mail to thank you for releasing the TSqlTest code. My company isn’t able to spend the money on the Visual Studio edition for Database Professionals, so I’ve been looking for a nice unit testing package. I’ve spent the last couple of hours setting up a test environment using TSqlTest and it’s working out very well. I’ve got a very complicated calculation engine to write so the unit tests will prove invaluable.

If I may make a suggestion for the future, the example that you provided had only failed test cases written into the TstTestResults table. I’m considering writing records for both passed and failed tests. This helps other people on the team gain visibility as to the comprehensive list of tests being run. I will probably use the “OpenDefect” field as a way to differentiate between passed and failed tests or I may just add a new “Success” field to the table.

Again, thanks for releasing the code. You’ve saved me a lot of time.

I thought this was a great suggestion. The way that TSqlTest is written right now, you get a count of successful tests in TstFileResults but no details.

My plan is to add a bit column to TstTestResults to indicate that a test passed or failed, then update the stored procedures to allow filtering by pass/fail.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion.

Rob