Thread: t-SQL - HELP PLEASE

t-SQL - HELP PLEASE

I need a resultset for a patient ID where physician type = 2 for a give record---however, if there are no physicians where type = 2 then i need to return the physician assigned to the patient where type = 0. please see script below

SELECT BED_STATUS_CD,
    ROOM_MSTR.NURSING_STATION_ID,
    ROOM_MSTR.ROOM_ID,
    ROOM_MSTR.BED_ID,
    PATIENT.LAST_NAME
    AS PATIENT_NAME,

MEDREC.MEDREC_NO,
    ROOM_MSTR.VISIT_NO,
    PHYS_MSTR.LAST_NAME,
    PHYSICIAN.PHYSICIAN_TYPE_CD

FROM PATIENT FULL OUTER JOIN
    MEDREC RIGHT OUTER JOIN
    VISIT ON MEDREC.URN = VISIT.URN LEFT OUTER JOIN

PHYSICIAN LEFT OUTER JOIN
    PHYS_MSTR ON PHYSICIAN.PHYS_ID = PHYS_MSTR.PHYS_ID ON VISIT.VISIT_NO = PHYSICIAN.VISIT_NO FULL OUTER JOIN
    ROOM_MSTR ON MEDREC.LOCATION_CD = ROOM_MSTR.LOCATION_CD AND VISIT.VISIT_NO = ROOM_MSTR.VISIT_NO ON
    PATIENT.URN = VISIT.URN

WHERE (ROOM_MSTR.LOCATION_CD = @FACILITY )
    AND (PHYSICIAN.PHYSICIAN_TYPE_CD = '2')

--the following will list all the visit_no's that are assigned to physician_type_cd = 2 .
    If there is no physician_type_cd = 2 then a physician_type_cd = 0 having the same visit no will be displayed.....

--if you combine the following with your query, probably you will get what you want....

SELECT vis.VISIT_NO, phys2.PHYSICIAN_TYPE_CD
    FROM VISIT vis
    LEFT JOIN PHYSICIAN phys ON phys.VISIT_NO = vis.VISIT_NO AND PHYSICIAN_TYPE_CD = '2'
    LEFT JOIN PHYSICIAN phys2 ON phys2.VISIT_NO = vis.VISIT_NO AND phys2.PHYSICIAN_TYPE_CD = ISNULL(phys.PHYSICIAN_TYPE_CD, '0')
    WHERE phys2.PHYSICIAN_TYPE_CD IS NOT NULL

--HTH--
    Last edited by mikr0s; 01-26-2007 at 02:53 PM.

DUDE, you are a SQL GOD!!! thank you so much. How can I learn more about including values in a JOIN? What should I reference--I haven't seen this before???