Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Merge replication

ok fair enough,

Are you trying to use the replicated db (on server b) as a mirror/backup or will the server B database be actively used by users?

We want to have the server B actively used by users.

ah right, that makes more sense ;-)

Hi,

I have just run the 'dts copy logins task' to copy the logins from server A to server B and the database that I copied was the master database. I am honestly not sure how to test it to make sure the logins on server B is working. Any ideas how?

Thanks in advance for input!

-whitebelt

Try setting up a sql datasource on a client machine to Server b, specifying username and password to connect with, then try a query using that data source (alternatively I think theres a "test datasource" button), if it fails on uid/pwd it will report a login failure

Hi,

Thanks for your response! I guess I am not familiar with this test, is there anyway you can walk me through step-by-step how to test it?

I really appreciate your help!

-whitebelt

Just open query analyzer, choose sql server b to connect to, put in that user id and password.

yeah thats probably the easiest thing to do

Thank you both for your quick responses!

I tried to log onto Query Analyzer but I got an error message 'sql server does not exist or access denied', I used the same userid and password to log onto Enterprize Manager to the same server (serverB), and it worked fine. Does it have anything to do with access right? I mean if I can log onto the Enterprize Manager, I should be able to log onto the Query Analyzer correct? I had no problem logging onto this server before though.

Looking forward to your responses!

-whitebelt

If it works in em, should work in query analyzer. Is it windows account or standard sql account? Right click the server b in em and go to edit sql server registration to see what kind of authentication used.

Hi 'rmiao',

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

I have checked the sql server registration, it's used 'window authentication', so I logged onto serverB again using window authentication connection, and it worked fine, but if I used 'sql server authentication', it does not work. How do I change/edit my userid so that I can also log onto the serverB using 'sql server authentication' ?

-whitebelt

No you can't since they are different type of sql logins.

I see! so I guess it's the only way to test is to log onto the serverB with whatever the authentication is set in the sql server registration for that particular userid and password ? Am I correct?

-Whitebelt

That's right.

Thanks again for all your responses!

-whitebelt